Do you think you can create wooden toys to present your children? It is definitely possible by using a best band saw. Actually, the best band saw is such a useful machining tool for woodworkers. However, everyone can use it to create numerous wood toys. Here is an instruction for you to make a wooden car as well as helicopter. Follow it and plan to do now.
Making a helicopter from wood.
You need to prepare:
- A small-sized Band Saw is suitable.
- A Large piece of ¼ inch-depth Birch timber
- Medium sheet of ¼ inch-depth Cedar timber
- Metal rods for axles, Wood Glue, Drill and drill bits are necessary.
Now, let’s do it:
Be sure that you have already had your plans for your helicopter. It is easy for you to look for and download any plans on the internet.
Step 1: make the body of Helicopter
- Place your plans on top of the birch timber and use a builder’s pencil to trace over them so as it indents the timber.
- Using your band saw cut out the shape defined by the tracing paper which should end up being 6 ¾” long and 4” tall.
- Cut two holes near the bottom 1 inch apart and 9/16” from the edges.
- Cut three of these shapes in Birch and two in Cedar, then you have five similar parts.
- Place them in turn: a birch, then cedar, then birch, then cedar, then birch. Now, you have the shape of the helicopter.
- Finally, glue them together, ensure there is no glue run over the sides, use clamps to press the timber together at the four corner areas. Remember not to apply too much pressure
Step two: make rotor
- Cut two identical pieces in birch timber to make the blades which should be 4 ¼” long and 1/2” wide. In each blade, cut a hole in the dead center.
Step three: complete the helicopter.
- Leave the helicopter at least 8 hours to be sure the glue is set firm then drill a hole in the rotor blades center. You need to use sandpaper around the body to remove marks left.
- Drill holes: a front and rear hole for the axle that are far from the front and back ½ inch and the bottom an inch
- Combine the axle blade with the wheel and blade at the top of the helicopter by using the wood glue.
- Leave the helicopter to dry. Using sandpaper if necessary.
- To decorate the helicopter, apply over it clear oil before painting
Now, you have a wooden completed helicopter. Learn to practice more with tools and wood to create more interesting toys. It is an easy project for home wood enthusiast with only band saw and some extra tools.
Making a wooden car
You would feel much easier to make a car from wood if you have done helicopter toy before. Similarly to the way making wooden helicopter, all materials and tools you need simply is wood, wood glue, drill as well as best band saw.
Firstly, you need to shape the car you want. You may think about a race car, a jeep or a bus, etc…, then draw it out before transfer into the wood. It’s time for you to make new idea about car model because toy cars don’t necessarily need to be strictly car shaped.
The next thing to do is cutting the wood. Using hand saw to cut the wood following your hand-drawn lines. Once you have the desired shape, then place the wheels, which should be about 1/2″ from the bottom. Mark where you want the axles to be, then drill holes. Use a slightly larger bit than the dowel rod to leave some turning room for the axle. Furthermore, you can design windows for the car by using drill.
To continued, remove the marks left after drilling by sandpaper around the model. The final interesting thing to do is painting the wooden car.
After all, making wooden car by using band saw is so simple. Not only car, helicopter but also many things you can do thanks to best band saw. I am sure you will be surprised about your creativity in making various wooden toys. Therefore, owning a suitable band saw may be a great ideal for anyone enjoying handicraft. However, please remember to follow strictly the instruction of using band saw, or you could severely injure yourself.