Do you think you can create wooden toys to present your children? It is definitely possible by using a best band saw. Actually, the best band saw is such a useful machining tool for woodworkers. However, everyone can use it to create numerous wood toys. Here is an instruction for you to make a wooden car as well as helicopter. Follow it and plan to do now.
Making a helicopter from wood.
You need to prepare:
- A small-sized Band Saw is suitable.
- A Large piece of ¼ inch-depth Birch timber
- Medium sheet of ¼ inch-depth Cedar timber
- Metal rods for axles, Wood Glue, Drill and drill bits are necessary.
Now, let’s do it:
Be sure that you have already had your plans for your helicopter. It is easy for you to look for and download any plans on the internet.
Step 1: make the body of Helicopter
- Place your plans on top of the birch timber and use a builder’s pencil to trace over them so as it indents the timber.
- Using your band saw cut out the shape defined by the tracing paper which should end up being 6 ¾” long and 4” tall.
- Cut two holes near the bottom 1 inch apart and 9/16” from the edges.
- Cut three of these shapes in Birch and two in Cedar, then you have five similar parts.
- Place them in turn: a birch, then cedar, then birch, then cedar, then birch. Now, you have the shape of the helicopter.
- Finally, glue them together, ensure there is no glue run over the sides, use clamps to press the timber together at the four corner areas. Remember not to apply too much pressure
Step two: make rotor
- Cut two identical pieces in birch timber to make the blades which should be 4 ¼” long and 1/2” wide. In each blade, cut a hole in the dead center.
Step three: complete the helicopter.
- Leave the helicopter at least 8 hours to be sure the glue is set firm then drill a hole in the rotor blades center. You need to use sandpaper around the body to remove marks left.
- Drill holes: a front and rear hole for the axle that are far from the front and back ½ inch and the bottom an inch
- Combine the axle blade with the wheel and blade at the top of the helicopter by using the wood glue.
- Leave the helicopter to dry. Using sandpaper if necessary.
- To decorate the helicopter, apply over it clear oil before painting
Now, you have a wooden completed helicopter. Learn to practice more with tools and wood to create more interesting toys. It is an easy project for home wood enthusiast with only band saw and some extra tools.